News

Call for Volunteers!

Fall 2013 Steam Rail News

November Work Party Warden

More...


Members

Become a Member...
Click here!


Donate with Paypal
 

6060 was assembled in Canada's Montreal Locomotive Works in October of 1944 under builder's number 72757. In 1959, 6060 was retired from active service and was subsequently placed on static display in Jasper, Alberta in 1962. Ten years later, Canadian National Railway restored 6060 to operating condition, and used her to haul steam excursions out of Toronto, Ontario.

In 1980, to commemorate the Province of Alberta's 75th anniversary, 6060 was presented to the people of Alberta as a gift. After more than five years of retirement, she was restored a second time with the help of the Province of Alberta and, most notably, volunteers from the Rocky Mountain Rail Society. 6060 traveled under her own power to Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1986 to participate in Steam Expo, part of the World's Fair.

After several years of storage at the Alberta Railway Museum near Edmonton, she was moved to Stettler in 1998 to operate regularly in the service of Alberta Prairie Steam Tours. More than a decade later, she continues to delight thousands of excursion passengers every summer. This impressive Mountain-type engine is considered to be one of the best remaining examples of a modern steam locomotive, and, in addition to being Canada's largest operating steamer, is currently North America's only operating Mountain-type engine.

6060's design is an extension of CNR Northern U-2-g design (4-8-4) which was able to run through divisional points where other engines would need to be serviced, and established performance records. One such locomotive ran 18,353 miles in one month, and it was typical for the design to run from Montreal to Halifax (841 miles) without change. As a result of being constructed during World War II when the need for more locomotives was high but the ready supply of iron was low, the U-1-f class of 4-8-2s, of which 6060 was the first, were lighter and more versatile locomotives than the U-2 Northerns. 6060 rolled off the erecting floor at MLW early in October 1944.

In spite of being 20 tons lighter than the U-2s, the performance of the U-1-f class was undiminished and they quickly took over prestigious passenger runs, capable of easily maintaining speeds of 75 mph. 6078, a classmate of 6060, made the run from Toronto to Sarnia, Ontario in two hours and fifty-eight minutes at an average speed, including water stops, of 58.7 mph. This entire sub-class of engine remained in service until the end of steam on the CNR.

For more 6060 Statistics, click here.